Thursday 14 May 2015

Final script

This is my final copy of my script imported from word which is why the format is a little off. To find the word downloadable copy click here.

Name: Joshua Martello
School: Worthing College
Age: 17
Title of Play: Room 56

Character List:

Fiona
Brian
Auntie Gina
Doctor Albert
Young Fiona
George
Uncle Thomas

Scene 1 - Present Hospital

Fiona (To the audience) The date is May 26th 1997, 3:20am, the morning of the day of my birth, my mum is sleeping in her bed…

Skip forward 18 years, I’m in my room, awake, crying, wishing I could be anywhere else than where I am now or anyone other than myself.

Back up 3 months, my auntie Gina has been raced to hospital because she had a severe stroke. It had scared the hell out of me.

Fiona and Brian are sat in the waiting room to receive news on how Auntie Gina is copping.

Fiona (Sarcastically) Love how you can only see me when there’s a family disturbance Brian, Dad.

Brian You know because of business it has been hard for me to find any spare time to see you…
You know there’s nothing more I could wish for than to see you Fi Fi.

Fiona Don’t you ever call me that.

Fiona (To the audience) Ever since my Mum died auntie Gina, my mother’s older sister has raised me, helped me through growing up, her nickname for me was Fi Fi.

My Dad visited, but not enough, he always happened to be out of the country on ‘work’ whenever I needed him the most – Like when my dog Charlie got hit by a car, or when my auntie was recovering from her alcoholic issues or (Long pause) when my best friend tried to kill me. He was never there.

Doctor Albert came of the room 56 – where Auntie Gina was held – Brian stood up and approached him – the audience cannot hear their chatter

Fiona (To the audience) Skip back 10 years we’re in a kennel to buy our first family dog.

Scene 2 - Past Pet Shop

Auntie Gina Fi Fi, we can’t have that one he’s far too big for our flat – he’d have not enough space to run around in, that’s cruel! See what about this spotted one?

Young Fiona Alright Auntie, but I get to call him whatever I want right? Like you said!

Auntie Gina Just like we agreed! (Gina walks over to the desk and smiles at the cashier) Excuse me, Hi, hello, my niece and I would like to purchase that dog. (She points towards the spotted dog)

Young Fiona (Young Fiona’s face lights up and she hugs Gina) Thank you, thank you, thank you Auntie!
I think I’m going to name him (Young Fiona pauses to think)

Fiona (To the audience)…Charlie.
Alongside Auntie Gina, Charlie, although being a dog was the only other thing I could speak too about my issues, he was the perfect listener and was always up for a good cuddle. (Fiona pauses and stares down at the ground briefly before returning her attention back to the audience) December 2nd 2008 was the day he passed; hit by a red Ford driving too fast down an icy road. Crashed right into Charlie at 40 miles per hour. We were taking him for a walk - the first time without his lead; he was well trained but, like they say; you could be the most careful and cautious person in the world, but that doesn't stop stupid people doing silly things.

Scene 3 - Past Home

Auntie Gina Here Charlie boy!

Young Fiona Look at him run Auntie - look!

Auntie Gina Now you better make sure Fi Fi that Charlie is taken care of, okay? Well fed and trained, and where you need it I can help also. (Gina smiles at Young Fiona).

Young Fiona can be seen running off into another room. Auntie Gina is left alone.

Scene 4 – Present Hospital

Brian returns from the Doctor Albert and sits next to Fiona.

Brian He said they're not going to be certain on how she's doing for a few hours. (Pause) Sitting here and worrying about her isn't going to help Fiona, come with me and we can grab some lunch, what do you say?

Fiona looks up at Brian and stares for a while before returning to stare down at the patterned flooring in the hospital.

Fiona (To the audience) Lunch? You think lunch is going to resolve all those years of my childhood you missed, the times I needed you, the times I missed you. I considered shouting at him, getting angry, but, was would be the point, if anything matters would only get worse.

Fiona (To Dad) I'm not hungry - I'm going to stay here and wait for her to be alright.

Brian stands then leaves out of the hospital. Fiona is left alone. The hospital door swings open - George enters and sits next to Fiona.

George Excuse me? Are you Fiona...

Fiona (Hesitating) Yes (Pause)  I am Fiona.

George Great, oh, hello, my name is George (He offers his hand for a handshake, Fiona looks away, there is an awkward silence) I'm sorry, I heard what had happened and thought I'd come and, see how everything was, finally meet you.

Fiona looks up towards George.

Fiona I'm sorry (Pause) George. I have no idea who you are and at the moment I think I'd rather be left to myself. (Fiona's stare returns to her hands)

George continues to look at her, there is a silence, suddenly Doctor Albert appears from Room 56 and walks down the corridor to his right. Fiona lights up watching him as he walks, then staring back at the door of the room Auntie Gina is kept within.

George stands and begins to walk away. As he steps away from Fiona, Fiona grabs his arm and looks up at him.

Fiona (Pause) Please don't go, not just yet. (Long Pause, Fiona's hands return back to her lap, releasing George, she follows her hands with her eyes as they return to her lap) How do you know who I am?

George (Taking a deep breath) My Mum, she knew your Mum whilst she was pregnant with you in hospital. Apparently your Mother really helped her through her time at the hospital. Gina kept good contact with her and then yesterday she received a message from Thomas as to what had happened to Gina.

Fiona (To the audience) Thomas was my Mother's and Gina's older brother, before my Mum had died he was very distant from the family, due to a 'family dispute' which happened when my Mum and Auntie were younger, still I'm not too sure what it was over. He returned though, to support Gina and myself a few years after Mum died, I think he blamed himself for some reason, not being there for her, he was away when Gina had her stroke, visiting his girlfriend in America. When he heard he jumped on the next available flight out, he should be landing within the next few hours at Heathrow. He's been spending more and more time away, he feels bad for it, we can't blame him for trying to live his life.

George My Mum told me everything about what happened, she had already had be when (Pause, George looks down to the ground) I'm sorry.

Fiona It's fine. I'm just worried about Gina.

George I can't imagine how you must be feeling, for this to happen all of a sudden.

There is a silence, George moves his arm over Fiona's shoulders and pulls her in for a hug. After a moment, Fiona begins to giggle.

Fiona She's made me feel like this before, it's funny really, just as she starts getting her life back on track, there's another speed bump. She had an issue with alcohol.

 Scene 5 - Past Gina's home

Young Fiona is sitting at a dinner table eating microwave spaghetti hoops. Auntie Gina bursts through the door, drunk and stumbles into the kitchen, Young Fiona looks frightened. Auntie Gina begins mumbling to herself as we can hear her searching through drawers and cupboards.

Auntie Gina (Intoxicated) Where are they? I don't need, nope, not that, ah, NO, Jesus Christ (Pause) ah there we go, ah, hmm.

Auntie Gina storms out of the kitchen with a bottle of whiskey in her hands and walks straight past Fiona accidently kicking her chair as she does so.
Young Fiona Ah Auntie!

Auntie Gina falls and begins to climb up the stairs. Young Fiona tears up and slips under the table, curled in a ball she begins to cry.

Fiona (To the audience) All of a sudden I had become invisible, like I was just another piece of the furniture in the room which got in the way of her 'hidden' bottle in the kitchen. (Fiona looks at Young Fiona crying under the table) I didn't understand what was wrong, not until...

The door to the house opens slowly, Young Fiona stops crying and holds onto a chair leg, looking at the door in fright. Uncle Thomas enters, creeps over to the table.

Uncle Thomas (Whispering) Fiona hunny, come here.

Fiona wipes away her tears, crawls out from under the table and hugs Uncle Thomas.

Uncle Thomas Come on now, you can stay at mine for this evening.

Uncle Thomas and Fiona begin to exit, as they approach the door Fiona grasps.

Uncle Thomas What? What is it?

Young Fiona I've forgotten my toothbrush!

Uncle Thomas Okay, quickly, but quietly run up stairs and go fetch it!

Young Fiona rushes up the stairs.

Scene 6 - Past Upstairs Hallway/Bathroom

Young Fiona can been seen creepy past the upstairs rooms down the hallway towards the bathroom. She enters the bathroom, Auntie Gina can be seen with her head down the toilet throwing up, every so often taking breaks to drink more.
Young Fiona grabs her toothbrush and heads towards the door.

Auntie Gina (Intoxicated) Leaving me? You're just like your mother, leaving me with all of her messes and responsibly, I knew she'd (She throws up back into the toilet, there is a pause) Just go.

Young Fiona, terrified runs out of the room and down the hallway.

Fiona (To the audience) I ended up staying with Uncle Thomas for just over a month, Uncle Thomas sent Gina to a 'special doctors' my  uncle described it as, I didn't care what it was as long as it was working. I soon found out how she had used drinking as a way to trying to cope with the absence of my Mum, she started drinking on my Mum's 32nd birthday, 10 years after she had passed away, alongside that she had also lost her job and a few months beforehand one of her closest friends died of a cancer. I guess bad luck runs in the family, the bond of each other is the only thing that helps pull us through.

Scene 7 - Present Hospital

George walks into the waiting room and sits next to Fiona

George They only had ready salted.

Fiona That's fine. Thanks.

George Are you here alone?

Fiona I was with Brian, I mean my Dad, but he went to go get some lunch.

George Brian eh?

Fiona Yeah he, I... calling him Dad just doesn't feel right.

George How come?

Fiona looks at George.

Fiona Whilst I was younger and living with my Auntie he used to go away, first only for a few days but then it started to become weeks, months until eventually he began staying out where he worked in Argentina; apparently it was 'just easier' that way. I've been through some pretty tough times, times which no child should ever deserve to go through, and the worst part of it was, besides Uncle Thomas and Auntie Gina, my real Father was never there. When he called it was great, I'd spend hours on the phone to him, but when he didn't it made me so mad, I began not picking up his calls, what's the point when he's never here. I just wish he was there for me when I needed him.

There is a long pause.

George I'd hate to imagine that, how defenceless you must have left, with no one to fall back onto to support you.

Fiona I did have this one friend, who I could speak to about stuff that I couldn't with my Auntie or Uncle, things that I didn't want anyone else to know, I knew if I told them I'd feel ten times better.

(To the audience) My friend Lillian Haywood, Lills as I liked to call her. We met in when first joining high school, we connected instantly and became the greatest of friends, all up to the moment she tried to murder me, almost succeeded in it.

Scene 8 - Past Chemistry Classroom

Fiona (To the audience) It was in this very classroom. She had been obsessed with this guy in our class, James Black, obsessed to the point it was unhealthy she even once tried to stalk him home and then pretend as if she had been offered to stay for dinner by James' parents. This didn't bother me, the only way it affect me was her going on and on about him. (Pause) There, by those tables James came up to me and had asked me to the high school prom, which was surprising as we'd hardly spoke, I abruptly said no as I wasn't into him as such, a rumour had spread that instead of going to prom with him I'd invited him back to my house and, well 'did things' you know. This completely sick rumour drove Lillian crazy, the following day, in the same Chemistry class she came at me with a shattered shard from a glass beaker. I was shocked, and ran straight out of the open fire door onto the field, she followed chasing after my screaming and crying, I tripped, she stood over me like a giant and took one swish at my arm, missing my skin by millimetres, by the time she was ready to strike again one of the PE teachers had managed to stealthy snatched the shard off her and corner her by a goal. Her parents were alerted and she was moved away, far away, I don't know where. I miss her, well I miss having someone to talk to about more personal issues.

Scene 9 - Present Hospital

George's phone vibrates and he reads the message on screen.

George Fiona, I'm sorry I have to go, Mum wants me back, I hope everything gets sorted out and Gina gets better, let me know, she should have my Mum's number. It was nice to finally meet you.

Fiona Goodbye George.

George starts walking out, as he opens the door he is stopped by Fiona.

Fiona George (George turns to her)  Thank you, for everything.

George smiles then leaves through the door. Fiona is left alone, she smiles and looks back at the door where George had left. She looks up slowly as the door and we see her face fade to worry. Doctor Albert exits the room and walks straight for Fiona.

Doctor Albert Fiona, do you know where your father is?

Fiona What's happened? How is she?

Doctor Albert I think it'll be best if we wait until you father gets here.

Fiona's eyes begin to tear up. Doctor Albert looks away. Then back at Fiona.

Doctor Albert Fiona, your Auntie (Pause) has passed away. We tried everything we could.

Tears run down Fiona's lost face, she moves past Doctor Albert and for Room 56. Doctor Albert begins to walk into another room. She charges into Room 56, Auntie Gina lies, lifeless in the white hospital bed, the only noise we can hear is the heart rate streamline at a steady single tone. Fiona runs up to Auntie Gina and hugs her crying.

Fiona NO NO NO (Long pause) Why?

Brian can be heard entering the waiting room, speaking on his mobile phone.

Brian We could probably get another batch to you by Friday or (He stops suddenly)

Brian sees Room 56's door swing open, Fiona is revealed in tears running towards him, he drops the phone and hugs her.

No comments:

Post a Comment