Friday 5 December 2014

Final Cats Dance Audition

Above is my 2 minute final dance audition for Cats.

The song I had chosen to dance to was 'Macavity the mystery cat' because I felt like the beats and timings were something I could work with a lot better than any other possible Cats songs.

The stimulus for the dance was obviously Cats and mystery but also with Jazz type theme.
I used choreographic devices such as levels, change of tempo/speed and repetition to my advantage when giving the impression of a mysterious type cat - for example using a mid level with slow but graceful speeds gave the impression I was being careful and sneaky.

I tried to incorporate movements such as turns and rolls as much as possible to create an energetic atmosphere to the piece - although I am a sneaky sly cat I'm also loud in my movements and  at times likes the attention of everyone.

A good strength for my dance audition, I think was the use of staying in and dancing as a character, for example using facial expressions and movements to exaggerate the personality of the character - Macavity.

A weakness though to my devised dance was my lack of experience in dance as well as a few movements not looking strong or professional enough -  but after the audition I really felt more confident with dancing now and certainly more able to dance in front of an audience and creating good ideas.

If I were able to devise and choreograph the dance audition again I would definitely spend more time researching movements and the character as although I spent some time on it I realised when trying to devise movements that it wasn't enough and didn't relate to the personality of the core character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment